Wednesday, 12 September 2012

Blue / Black Gradient with PVA

I posted earlier today about the decent nails drought I'm experiencing!  Tonight I have followed up my PVA pondering post by trying it.  I had an idea of using China Glaze Electric Beat and a-england Bridal Veil for a gradient.  Here's everything I used


I started out by using the PVA glue I have decanted into a bottle and painting around the bottom and sides of each nail.  Whilst waiting on the glue drying I went on to set up the base I'd be sponging on.  For this I used 1x Stickey, 2x Nail Envy, 1x Electric Beat.  Then I left the polish to become touch dry and the glue to become transparent.  This took about 10 mins.


I sponged happily and got into a bit of a mess....  For the sponging I put a stripe of the blue and a stripe of the black on a sponge and bounced away, there's many tutorials out there.  Then topped this with INM Northern Lights Silver Holo.  On the little fingers I used one of my dotting tools and made different sized dots, black on blue.


 Then I started to peel!  Now this is where the disaster almost happened - after this week I was expecting it!  The first one I peeled with my little finger on my right hand.  I ripped it towards the nail and it pulled all my nail design up and tore it in the middle.  I put in back against the nail, grabbed the seche and added a layer, **so far** this is holding fine and you can barely notice the crease line where it tore.  After this I started to peel back using my slimmest, pointiest dotting tool.  When I reached the cuticle I stopped and used the pointed tool to break the join.  To  be honest this sounds a lot more effort than just using a cotton bud and remover, but it was quite simple and took minutes.  I didn't have to use acetone on my poor dry skin and I didn't get the horrid smudging a dark colour around on my skin stains either.


Here is 5 mins after sponging.  Guess who forgot to put glue on the tips of her fingers?  


And here is after a miminal clean up with a rubber cuticle pusher to get any excess glue bits from my cuticles and a little acetone on the tips that I forgot.


I'll definitely be trying this again: my fingers feel so much better for less contact with acetone or polish! The key lessons learned were to take it steady peeling, and to go round cuticle area with something pointy like a cuticle pusher, orange stick or thin dotting tool to break the area where glue meets polish.  Hopefully this one will stick on my nails without any issues as mentioned earlier today.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks :) This mani drew some attention at work, I had to explain how to do a gradient mani quite a few times

      Delete
  2. Love the gradient! I haven't tried one with glitter before, but now I think I have to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - there wasn't as much glitter as it seems, Bridal Veil is more holo than glitter and the Northern Lights holo top coat is great Got to get more of that beauty :)

      Delete
  3. I love this gradient , I dont know about the glue though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I very much doubt it will be the next big "thing!" but it will certainly be helping me in future when I'm splodging polish anywhere near my skin!

      Delete
  4. Lovely colour combination here, nice try with the glue a well, I would never have thought of that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been pondering about glue far too much of late, I suspect the fumes from polish and glue are going to my head! lol!

      Delete

Comments are welcome, I have approval on so I do read and appreciate all comments left.